I was standing back stage just before a show began. There was a crowd of actors and crew members all crammed into the wings and behind set pieces and up against the walls. We were waiting for the stage manager to cue the overture. I was standing next to the star of the show, Andrew, and on the other side of one of the big black curtains that make up the wings, an actor named Stephen was standing playing idly with his prop. I was talking to Andrew about the movie Willow. Willow is an unholy combination of Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings, and the George Lucas part is very strong, obviously, because it's his movie. George, buddy, stick with Sci Fi. It made my Wow List, I told Andrew. Not knowing what exactly a Wow List was, Andrew asked, "Can I be on your Wow List?" I told him that he would have to do or say something that proved the infinite capacity of man for oddity and, or stupidity. At that moment Stephen came around to our side of the curtain. "Look guys!" He whispered loudly. He stood with his back to the curtain and slowly leaned back on it until it gave way and he started falling backwards. "It's like a trap door! Only in the wall!" He told us excitedly. Andrew and I looked at each other.
Wow.
Actors and other theater people probably make my Wow List more than anyone else. Like the crew member who left the theater that night with a piece of green duct tape hanging off the tip of his nose. All you can say is 'Wow.' It's a kind admiration. It's admiration that someone can actually take these things seriously. Or admiration that someone thought up something like that and actually said it out loud. Or admiration that it all makes sense to someone. Most of the time they are things that just made me laugh for one reason or other.
For example:
I always wondered why and when Frosty the Snowman will come back. And will he be accompanied by King Arthur. If King Arthur wants to come back, more power to him but does Frosty have to come too?
The Arabian Nights (or maybe it was those Indian fairy tales I read) are full of things that I cannot hope to comprehend. It's probably because I'm a westerner. The East and it's culture are mysterious and illogical to me. I love it. If ever you are about to be in a situation where you are going to be terribly embarrassed, the best thing to do is to simply kill yourself. Makes perfect sense to them. Wow.
The Book of the Dun Cow was a really good book, actually. I am very fond of many things on my Wow List. Dun Cow was a very religious book about love and temptation and leadership and following God's will and a few dozen other wonderful things. But it was about chickens. I can't explain. I don't know. It worked for the author. Good for him. WOW.
Then there are things on my Wow List that I just wish I had thought of first.
That's a creation of Millie's. She's Brilliant. Wow.
It makes life interesting. God must have a sense of humor.

1 comment:
Wow. =D
I've heard of Millie's LotR-action-figure-nativities. heehee. That's awesome.
Karendil you are so funny...the Once and Future Snowman, eh? lol.
I loved the Arabian Nights for that reason...much more romantic people than we Westerners can ever hope to be. ;)
I loved The Book of the Dun Cow too...once I got past the chickens. But you know, it did work. They were something absurd...rather like humans...lol.
Post a Comment