I don't know his name. I do know that he is young and adventurous. He ran away to sea. I think he joined the navy actually and then deserted and joined a pirate crew where, he figured, he had a a chance of fair treatment. The thing is, I don't think he is nearly desperate enough to be a ruthless pirate. I think maybe he got on the captains bad side for being too soft and was marooned. Some of the other pirates were very fond of him and so they managed to get him left on a island that had some trees and other useful resources. They also seem to have left him a barrel of rum or something and a few other useful items. And so you see him now: Never one to simply resign himself to his fate, he has built a raft and befriended a parrot. (I'll have to think of a name for the parrot too.) They are a very cheerful couple. The two of them spied a ship that dropped anchor off the coast of their island. They watched while a crew come ashore to take on water and planed to stow away aboard that night. It's a rather crazy thing to attempt. He's one man and his parrot, who will undoubtedly give him away. He is armed well but it won't do him much good being so badly out numbered. He's a pretty bad situation. If the navy catches him he'll be in BIG trouble and he's also become an outcast among the pirates. He doesn't seem too concerned about it though. What sort of people are on that ship? There's a story in that somewhere.
I got this great little pirate figure from CC along with the raft. I see these little guys in toy stores all the time. We were never really interested in them before cause we like Playmobile and it's just better not to get into too many little things like that. I think they're pretty neat. There are all sorts of people in all kinds of poses. There not as versatile since they can't move so they don't appeal to kids in that way. If you have a knight raising his battle ax you have hard time playing that he is attending a feast or courting a damsel. But other wise they do what a good action figure (can it be an action figure if it has no moving parts?) toy should do; each figure has character enough in the design so suggest a personality and a story. Each face is just a little different even if it came out of the same mold. Even if they are not so good for acting out a story with at least you know they have one. I think they should do historical figures like Civil War soldiers and western frontier settlers. I really like the fantasy theme they have going now though.
You are never too old for a good toy. Especially pirate toys. One should always have at least one pirate under one's Christmas Tree. This fellow will be living happily on my shelf now. Up with Maleny's Treasure Island and my scull candle holder and other little oddments. I like him there. Maybe there will be other little characters to join him later. Thanks C.C.
Anyone have an idea for a name?

1 comment:
Haha, that has to be the most good-looking pirate I've ever seen. :) Perhaps his name could be something like Richard, or Rook, or Mitchell. But no, those don't fit... I once made a cabin-boy out of a blop of paint on my bathroom floor. His name is James Mallory. :p
Post a Comment