I applied to a college this year. Yeah, I've been at the community college but I was getting frustrated because there are a lot of things I want to do that I can't get at the community college. So, after a frustrating visit to the advisor's office, I did a search on college board and found a college that offered most of what I wanted. It was really hard. I had to narrow done my interests to just the ones I think I could really spend four years studying. I ended up with art, music and creative writing. I found a school in Gettysburg that offered those three as majors (creative writing is a minor but that works for me). It's Gettysburg College so of course there is also a great history program and Civil War studies which is perfect for me. There is a classics program and Italian studies, and a whole bunch of other interesting things that Zita likes.
So I got all excited. I applied and even spent a weekend over there. There were a lot of great experiences. I did a vocal audition for the music school there and didn't get nervous. That was a major triumph for me. I also felt the age gap between me and the kids who would be my classmates. I'm 21 and they are going on 19. There is a difference.
I got to visit Catholic University of America in Washington DC while I was in the neighborhood. That was really cool. There were just lots of 'growing up' experiences and everyone can now say "I told you so" and "it's about time" if you really want to.
But I didn't make the cut for Gettysburg this year. I'm back to square one. I am a little disappointed. Everything seemed so perfect for me but I guess God has something else in mind. I have some more things to learn here yet. I will be applying to schools in bulk now I guess. That was the original plan anyway; spend two years at SFCC and then decide where I wanted to go.
Now I have a better idea of what I want to do. After much agonizing I decided that I really do want to study music, art and creative writing. Nothing practical of course, but I can't see myself going to college and not taking the opportunity to study them. I have a year to change my mind. I know that I want to go away from home. I have a list of places I don't want to go to school. I feel like I'm being picky but anything that narrows my choices is good for me and my poor decision making skills. I even know roughly what I'm going to be working on at SFCC this next year. It's a little weird. All these goals and plans and normal things are not as boring to me as they used to me. I still can't wait till school gets out next week so I can get back to my real life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
*hugs Karen* You're amazing! I just wanted you to know that. Is David talking now?
I don't know if you have looked at Christendom College yet, but it is a good Catholic college. They don't have a fine arts program but positive "culture" is a huge part of the campus life. My niece is there now. The drama club is doing "The Secret Garden" in the spring. Hope you get a chance to check it out. I just found your blog and almost think you are a kindred spirit. I am not an artist but I breathe music and would be on the stage but marriage and a baby make me stay at home for now - there is always the future...
Christendom looks amazing. If it was just a little bigger and had more programs... Another new school I wish I could go to is John Paul the Great Catholic University. It's just a few years old and focused on the mass media and culture. It's almost enough to make me want to study screen writing or something. I will be watching closely as that one grows.
I have had a really hard time finding a Catholic school that offers everything I want. I would love to go to a school where Catholicism was the heart of campus life but I feel like I really need to shop based on academic offerings. It's hard to discern weather I'm overestimating the strength of my faith in pursuing non-Catholic colleges or if I should concentrate on finding a school that can teach me what I need to know to serve Him well trusting that he will gift me with a Catholic community. Christ will be where ever I go.
Post a Comment