
The early Christians borrowed the mosaic technique from the Greeks and Romans who used them on their floors. The Christians put them up on the walls of their churches. The gold back ground was traditional because it put the figures in an eternal, non earthly setting which was appropriate for the subjects they depicted; Christ and the Saints mostly, also royalty and church patrons. I was sitting in class lamenting the fact that I couldn't go to Italy and see all the beautiful churches with these amazing old mosaics. My teacher didn't tell us that there are newer churches with mosaics like that in our own country.
I was at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (the Immaculate Conception does in deed refer to Mary, in case there should be any confusion) in Washington DC this weekend. There are so many beautiful mosaics in there it is literally breath taking.
I will tell you more about my trip and why I was there later. I'm all excited cause I think I figured out how to work the photo upload and I want to show you the pictures before it hates me again.
Some of my pictures are not so good so you should look at the virtual tour on the web sight but here are mine anyway.
This is Our Lady of Nations. There are so many beautiful little chapels opening in ever corner of this basilica. There are actually two main sanctuaries and dozens of little alters and memorials and smaller chapels.
You just can't beat the Catholic Church for beautiful art. I love all the different images of Our Lady. There is one for every country, race, need and cause. Here are some of my favorites.
This is Our Lady Queen of Missions.
Our Lady of China
I don't know what this images is. It's the Easter Rite Chapel.
Our Lady of Hope
I don't know what this one is called but I like it.
These are just some of them. I only took pictures when the chapels were empty and I wouldn't be bothering anyone with my obnoxious tourist flash.
Then you walk into the main church upstairs. WOW! I've seen the image of Christ in Majesty dozens of times and I've never really liked it all that much. Never under estimate the power of Being there! Mary says "My soul magnifies the Lord". You've been looking at all these images of Mary in nooks and side alters and then you walk into the main church and this meets you:
^This one I took from right under it. Not the best shot. When you walk in it's like He's RIGHT THERE. Then you walk towards it.... and walk.... and walk.... and you get to the high alter... and then you walk some more.... and finally you are right under Him. Makes my little mosaic look kind of pathetic.
Here is a better picture I've stolen from an other web sight:

It's amazing. This is the reason. He is the One Mary leads us to. It's really all about him.
Right below the mosaic there are some statues of Saints. The people who built the basilica were smart cause they put the names of the Saints under them so that people who have no skill or knowledge of symbol recognition with Saints can figure out who's who. There are Saints ALL over the place. Right under Christ in Majesty was this Statue:
It's St. Zita!! right there under the big dome! Needless to say, at this point I was jumping up and down and squealing with excitement... right there under the big dome.
There was a side chaple for St. Louise too. Here is her statue and a mosaic of her.
St. Zita is such an obscure Saint that it was pretty amazing for her to be up there. We looked for a St. Zita medal in the gift shop but there was no sign of her.
There were lots of other Saints around. It was really a lot of fun to be there. I wish I had had a few days to spend looking around cause there were all sorts of things that I'm sure we missed. It's like a treasure hunt. There are things written on the walls and arches and stained glass and symbols that tell you so much if you know what they mean. It's almost a visual overload but at the same time it's still a house of prayer. All the gold and light and color is to lift our minds to God and the glory of his creation. Every Saint is an image of Christ and an expression of His glory. They are our family and little imperfect models for us to follow.
And Mary is the most perfect creature of all. Of all the Saints, she reflects and magnifies the glory of God most clearly and brightly.

No comments:
Post a Comment