It's Destruction of the Ring Day!!
For normal people this day goes by every year without much significance. For normal fans of Tolkien it does not make much difference. Even for fans of Tolkien that happen to know that the 25th is such an important date in Middle Earth history will probably do no more than wish their fellow fans a "Happy Ring Day."
But this is not enough for people like my sisters (and mother) and I. We are having a party. We are inviting all our Tolkien freaky friends, dressing in hobbit-ish or elvish clothes, lighting the barbecue, throwing various small round objects into the barbecue, turning up the movie sound track, cooking large trays of imitation lembas bread, breaking out every Lord of the Rings board game known to man, digging out our much loved, dogeared, highlighted, falling apart copies of the beloved book and putting sticky notes in the passages we wish to read aloud. There will even be ale (Ginger Ale that is) and songs and dancing on tables *someone interrupts* Oh, well, my family says we don't have any tables that are good for dancing on so I guess there won't be dancing on tables, but there will be dancing on anything else that will hold our weight.
I'm kind of excited. And prone to understatements.
But this is not enough for people like my sisters (and mother) and I. We are having a party. We are inviting all our Tolkien freaky friends, dressing in hobbit-ish or elvish clothes, lighting the barbecue, throwing various small round objects into the barbecue, turning up the movie sound track, cooking large trays of imitation lembas bread, breaking out every Lord of the Rings board game known to man, digging out our much loved, dogeared, highlighted, falling apart copies of the beloved book and putting sticky notes in the passages we wish to read aloud. There will even be ale (Ginger Ale that is) and songs and dancing on tables *someone interrupts* Oh, well, my family says we don't have any tables that are good for dancing on so I guess there won't be dancing on tables, but there will be dancing on anything else that will hold our weight.
I'm kind of excited. And prone to understatements.

3 comments:
Happy (belated) Destruction of the Ring Day!
*quivers with shame that she forgot all about it...* :P
Leah! That's terrible! How could you!? :P
I know! College drives all else from my mind...I haven't even read LotR this year...
Post a Comment