Wednesday, March 21, 2007

An old thought revisited.

Found this at the end of my musings about arranged marriages. It didn't really fit with that post so I forgot about it.
From July.

On the 4th we watched the new Pride and Prejudice while we waited for fire works time. Whenever I watch or read a Jane Austin story I am struck by the great freedom and the great restrictions their social system gave them. I think I would have done very well in that time period. Except that I am rather like poor Mr. Bingly in that I can never think of the right thing to say. Only I would come off as aloof and self-centered instead of endearingly idiotic. The way they talk to each other is really interesting. It's so formal and formulaic (is that a word? it's very formulated) but at the same time I think it saves them from allot of awkwardness. My aunt thinks they use allot of words to say very little but I don't agree. I think they have a refreshing command of English that makes them much more expressive, and though they may not be perfectly frank, I think they can say what they mean with more tact and delicate charity than we can with our American 'tell it like it is' mentality that so often disregards charity all together.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Or, in the words of my English teacher, they can go to amazing lengths just to insult one another.