Okay, see the little player thing? See it, see it? Okay, press play. Go on, do it! Now!
I'm trying to like other things. I really am. But I can't. I can't even listen to Shostakovich. That's really serious cause I've been pretty hooked on that since last March. I open my iTunes and look at my play lists, "Broadway, Christmas music, Christian, Lord of the Rings sound track..." I really don't mean to, it's just that I don't really want to listen to anything but classical lately. That's not so odd. When I need to think or brainstorm, classical music is really all I can listen to. If it has lyrics I'll sing along and then I'll never get anything done. So I choose the classical playlist. It has a variety of pieces in there. I have some Bach (as much as I hate to admit it) and Mozart, Paganini, Holst, Mendelssohn, Beethoven, Strauss and Tchaikovsky. But can I listen to any of them? No. Most of those are on there as an attempt to broaden my horizon. It works sometime. I can occasionally enjoy other things, just not this week. I put it all on random but whenever a piece by anyone else starts up I find myself bringing up the window again and hitting the skip button. Everything else just pales in comparison. I must hear the clever, flowing, interweaving, merry or melancholy melodies of the Red Priest played on my favorite instrument. I have the Four Seasons, of course, and a few other violin concertos. I don't mind being addicted but I wonder if there is an explanation for my sudden relapse. Maybe it's cause I'm not playing my violin at Mass anymore. I really am a better singer than violinist. I can add much more to the liturgy singing the alto line fairly well than by playing the alto line badly on the violin. But now I'm not forced to play so I don't. I should go in there and dig out some music... maybe those Vivaldi pieces they have in the Suzuki book...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment