Friday, November 17, 2006

WeBLOG!

They tell me it's supposed to be a "Web Log" and that got shortened to "Blog". That's so very american. "It's too long. Two syllables is too long and it's too descriptive. We need a shorter, sillier sounding word that makes no sense unless you know the story behind it. Then we can make up a whole new meaning for it and not follow any of those rules that set definitions give you." Yep.
Does that happen with other languages? It seems very typical of 'American' english.
So, a log of my web surfing today would be very boring but I don't have to follow any rules here. It's My blog after all. So I'm going to tell you about some sights I have book marked.

I stumbled on this sight because I wanted to know what a hawk cry sounds like. (I think I was describing it in a story and felt like a cheater cause I've never actually heard one. I feel bad when I can only take everyone else's word on what something is like. Purple mountains, for example. I would never use that description cause I had never seen a mountain look purple. Pink mountains I have seen, but not purple. I saw my first purple mountain this summer when we went hiking. Now I can use that in good conscience.) The Bird Guide let's you look up all sorts of birds and hear what they sound like and learn a bunch of other stuff about them too. My sisters spent about an hour on this the other day listening to all kinds of ducks. It's fun to explore.

And
The American Chesterton Society
This is a sight dedicated to my sisters fiance. Yes, she is aware that good old Gilbert is already married (not to mention dead.) Dana's a little odd. She just really admires his writing and we joke that she's going to marry him. He's also the creator of Fr. Brown; a shamefully unknown detective rivaled only by Sherlock Holmes. I'm a little bias I guess.
I really like This Essay he wrote too. What a guy.

There you go. You know, I actually got on here to type about something else. What was it? Now I'm too tired. It's late. Families. That was it. I was going to type about how cool it is to be inseparably connected (willingly or not) to a group of people, even if they live hundreds of miles away. I end up typing a lot about that, don't I. Almost every one has one so maybe it's not too boring since people can relate. But it's weird to type about your family when you never know which members of it are reading. *Waves to cousin Seth* Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: