"On word. All that you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap that likes to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one thing more to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things - trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we're leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overworld. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that's small loss if the worlds as dull a place as you say." ~Puddleglum ~C. S. Lewis ~The Silver Chair
C.S. Lewis be praised! It's so simple and so good. Whenever I'm frustrated with relativism or anything else that puts down my faith to escapism or superstition I have only to read this passage from The Silver Chair. Never let yourself be lulled to sleep by the "logic" or materialism or anything else that smells of enchantment. Step back and stop trying to fight the battle on their terms. Burnt Marsh-wiggle may not be an enchanting smell but it sure makes it easier to think.
Life's just better here. It's infinitely cool to be a Christian and anyone who tells you otherwise is either jealous or ignorant. Christ's world licks the atheist's world hollow. People who live like Narnians are just more fun to be around.
Humans have an insatiable appetite for perfection. We all want that perfect beauty, that perfect love. They don't exist in this world, it just doesn't happen. Somehow the idea of perfection came into this world. Maybe the humans made it up. It doesn't matter. I'm going to live out my belief that perfect love exists and it is shaped like a Cross.
P.S. if you haven't read this book, the burnt Marshwiggle thing goes like this; The evil witch of the underworld had put some powder on the fire so that it gave off a sickly sweet smell. It was part of her enchantment. She was telling them all that there was no sky or sun or anything above ground and that they had all made it up or dreamed it. Puddleglum the Marsh-wiggle was a hero cause he stampped out the enchanted fire, burning himself very badly thereby clearing his head of enchantment, which makes it hard to think, and makeing the room smell like burnt marshwiggle, which is not at all an enchanting smell. Then he makes this speech.
Now go read the book.

No comments:
Post a Comment