
This is Jessica and she was on my crew for a show I stage managed. I have had this photo of her, I think is just gorgeous, for almost three years and I have always wanted to draw it. So I finally printed it out. Me and my box of colored pencils got to work a few weeks ago and I have been working on it little by little. I finished it the other day and was really pleased with how it turned out. I wish things that came from my head looked that good. This is probably the first drawing that has turned out something like what I wanted. A big step for me. I love colored pencil but I drive myself crazy trying to get things perfect. I got colored paper for my birthday and have had a ton of fun with it. It's so different having to work to get your highlights light enough rather than worrying about your shadows being dark enough. I like it. But my shadows still don't want to be dark enough.

So, now that I've said how much I like it I will start with the self critique. I got lazy with her neck and it's all wrong. Then I accidentally brushed some of the black onto it and so now it just looks funny. All the hair on her right side was really hard to get right. As you can see, I didn't get it right at all. The colors are all wrong and I was pretty much making up the shapes as I was going along. Part of the problem was that my printer refused to print the colors right. So the whole picture is accurate to my print but much less glorious than the original photo. Some day I'll have to do it again and get some decent prints and pay attention more. Her face is pretty good, I think. I wasn't perfectly accurate but it's not too bad.
But it's pretty good for a first attempt. :D
So, I've totally lost contact with Jessica. I can't remember her last name.
In any case, if you're out there Jessica, thank you for posing for the picture. I hope you don't mind me drawing it.

No comments:
Post a Comment