A friend recommended this book because it is written by a professor who has a vocation to the single life. The book, ironically, is about romantic relationships. I think I am done reading books on this topic for the next few months.
Loves Me, Loves Me Not.
The Ethics of unrequited love.
by Laura A. Smit
This
book seeks to answer the questions surrounding the experience of
unrequited love in the context of the Christian life. The author looks
at the process and trajectory of relationships that end in rejection
from the point of view of both the reject-er and the rejected party and
asks what purpose this experience has in a Christian's life. Is it just a
sad consequence of sin? Does loving someone who doesn't love you back
mean that you didn't really love them? That God didn't want you to love
them? When you reject someone, are you displeasing God?
Author Larua A. Smit starts by defining love, God's plan for love,
and the effects of sin on that plan. She writes about what a virtuous
love, mutual or otherwise looks like, vrs. a love that is tainted or
crippled with vice. She goes on to examine the influences of American
culture on our romantic imaginations; on the script, as it were; the
story that the culture tells us that we try to conform our lives to.
Finally, she analysis different responses and ways of dealing with the
role of reject-er and rejected, trying to find the most godly one.
I
think that her conclusion is that holy love, the kind that mirrors
God's love, is always good, even when it is not returned. The experience
of being in love, and seeing beauty in the beloved is a glimpse of the
glory that will be revealed in all of us in heaven, which comes from the
image of God in all of us. Christians should work, and pray to conform
their love to God's love, which loves regardless of whether we love him
in return or not. Love that is rejected especially can be turned to a
longing and desire for the beauty of God that we see in the beloved who
does not return our love.
While I was reading, I was constantly thinking of friends that I
know who would relate to or appreciate the book in some way. If you are a
friend of mine, and we have ever talked about relationships, or
friendship and love, I would recommend this book to you. It was a really
good read.
Here follows the parts that struck me the most in relation to my own vocation and experience.
Protestant
Professor Smit makes some arguments that are probably shocking to her
Protestant audience. I expect some cold water in the face whenever I
read about romantic relationships. Such reality checks are necessary in
this topic. I'm used to reading a very unromantic debunking of the soul
mate myth. Smit addresses this, and also tosses a different glass of
cold water. She argues that all Christians should assume that they will
never marry until proved otherwise. It was kind of interesting to read
as a Catholic, because I have grown up with the understanding that
celibacy is a healthy and laudable option, and I have seldom heard
celibacy defended to a Christian audience that would challenge it as
Smit's Protestant audience might. In Catholic circles we hear that
celibacy is a special calling (that may be superior in some way to the
vocation of marriage, but that is usually down played) for a few, and
the rest of us are called to advance the kingdom of God through marriage
and family life. Generally the result is that we all assume we have a
vocation to marriage, and we are all obligated to honestly check in with
God to see if he has something else in mind for us.
So here is a Protestant professor claiming that single life is the
default vocation and the burden of proof must now rest with the one who
is asking you out.
I am not sure that I agree with her all the
way. But I sure liked the idea that I don't have an obligation to try
out a relationship with any good upstanding Christian man who asks me
out with godly intentions. Instead of the burdensome (in my mind)
assumption that every relationships between single adults of opposite
sexes has this explosive potential to be a romantic relationship, she
offers a community where everyone assumes nothing more than friendship
is ever intended. That sounds like a great idea to me. But it is, of
course, a rather far off hypothetical ideal. In that ideal world, I bet
people who spend less time writing about romance and more time writing
about friendship, which is, in my not so humble opinion, the lost art of
our culture.
Sometimes I feel a little inhuman because the parts of the book that
are about romance, building relationships, relationship advice,
interest me in the way that hearing about Buddhism interests me: it's
very fascinating in the abstract, but I really have no desire to try it,
and can't actually relate much, accept from situations I have been
outside of, watching. It's like I'm the wrong kind of being to get into
that. Most of the book is about people who want to be in relationships
and cause themselves and other a lot of pain. My self centered, smug,
and cynical voice says "or you could just be friends and avoid all this
nonsense." So I have to admit that I am completely ignorant when it
comes to the desire to be married, or even just in a committed
relationship that may lead to marriage.
The part of the book that reminded me of myself and my attractions
to people in the past was near the end when she was talking about the
after effects of a rejection. What do you do with the love that you feel
for someone who won't love you back? The answer is complicated, but
gratitude is the eventual end point. God leads the rejected love to
gratitude for the glimpse of the image of God that has been seen,
gratitude for the love that can continue to transform the lover for the
better.
That has always been my experience of having a crush. I have never felt
more than a faint desire to admit my affection to the object thereof.
Mostly I have longed to spend time with the person as a friend. I
distinctly remember getting up in the morning and sincerely thanking God
that the man I was attracted to existed in the world and that I got to
exist in the same place once in a while and bask in the light of God
reflected off him. (This is the part where all my friends laugh and
shake their heads at the idea of Zita Lousie that far gone. Some of you
remember.) I had it pretty bad. But I really didn't want anything but
friendship. Can you have a friend crush? By that I don't mean a crush on
a friend, but a crush that longs for Philia instead of Eros. Anyway, it
was a completely pleasant experience, until it was clear we couldn't
even be friends because I was no longer going to be in the same place as
him. I seem to have missed out on all the pain and soul searching that
was supposed to make me a better person. I don't know whether to feel
cheated or blessed.
At the end of the book, Smit called out the
Protestant community for disparaging the single life, in their attempt
to honor marriage. I appreciated that little afterward. The Catholic
community could hear that one also, in so far as we have as much trouble
as our Protestant brothers and sisters when it comes to integrating
single people into the community outside of religious life. I have been
surprised at how uncomfortable people tend to be when I tell them I
don't intend to marry, or join an order. They do tend to think I will
grow out of it, that I'm just not ready yet. I suppose that may be the
case. But I'm not going to wait around for it, and neither should my
Christian community.
Saturday, October 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Yes! I am so in agreement! We need to have coffee and talk about life. I just went through an experience related to this that was happily resolved but definitely had me questioning myself and my preconceived notions of romance. When are you free this week?
Post a Comment