Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lent again

Hi, all you imaginary people who read this blog. I haven't posted in... a long time, so I thought it was high time to give an update on life, specifically mine.

It's Lent again. For the first time in many years, I am giving up a food for Lent. Now that I am at school and have a magical (and very expensive) thing called a meal plan, I have the option of eating all sorts of tasty things without having to cook them myself, or wash any dishes. There is something inherently dangerous in this on some level. What it means for me, however, is that I can eat french fries at every meal. I hear about people who eat like that and it totally grosses me out. I feel really sick when I eat fries. Seriously unhealthy on Many levels. But I love french fries. I really like potatoes in general. I also love ice cream: another thing that is available at every meal. Luckily I don't like pop and their pizza and hamburgers are not worth my time. Now don't worry, I usually only eat french fries a few times a week, or when there are curly fries, which are an extra temptation. But I'm giving them up, along with ice cream. The ice cream is the thing that's going to be really hard, because I don't feel sick after ice cream the way I do when I have eaten fries.

The biggest challenge for me in Lent is always to remember it after the first week. I bought myself a book of prayers by St. Tomas Aquinas at the end of last quarter. I've really been enjoying them. I'm trying to deepen my prayer life this Lent. When I am busy with school I find myself getting into a rut a lot. My schedule is dictated to me and my grades and other things depend on me being in the same place at the same time every week. I can end up on auto pilot pretty easily. Maybe it's because it we have had a few beautiful sunny days in a row here, or maybe it's because I am missing my friends and family a little more than usual lately, but I feel like I need to live on purpose a little more. Yeah, it takes some will power to do my homework (speaking of which...) and I have to make good choices which can be easier said than done. It's the things that I really love to do and no one is demanding of me that get forgotten. I don't spend nearly enough time outside. And I spend way too much time doing pointless things on the internet. It's not that I really want to be playing mindless games on facebook, it's just that it's halfway between what I really want to be doing and my homework. It's a will-less cop-out. So I resolve to jog to the other side of the convent building and play on the swings at the day care center, after the kids have gone home. If I'm going to be doing something pointless, it may as well be something I actually enjoy. I want to read out loud with some friends, draw and paint for pleasure. Read for pleasure! Work on my long neglected stories and explore some of the things I'm learning in creative writing. We shall see if I end up giving up being an A student for Lend. Hopefully not.
I want to spend some quality time with Christ in the chapel and other quiet places. Mostly, I want to slow down and thank Him.

So, that wasn't really an update. No boring facts about school or my social life or anything. Here is the usual evasive answer: I am well. School is fine.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Hi Karen!
I gave up something for Lent this year for the first time in my life^^ I decided on sweets--no candy, chocolate, icecream, danishes, or anything. It's so easy for me to forget because I've never done it before, so I've told my friends about it (they are better at saying, "Oh wait sorry Leah you can't have the cookies I made" than I am^^)and have written Bible verses on sticky notes and pasted them around my room. They are ones from Psalms about how "sweet" God's word is. I am trying to be in the Word more.

Agh, "living on purpose"--I feel like it's been so long since I've done that! Classes and assignments and obligations simply drag me from one day to the next. Not really...I like my classes. But it's not *living*, because I'm always so preoccupied with what I have to do NEXT.
Will-less cop-outs, haha...why does being on Facebook make me feel less guilty initally than going on a run or something away from my desk??><
Anyway hope you are doing well...

Heidi said...

"It's not that I really want to be playing mindless games on facebook, it's just that it's halfway between what I really want to be doing and my homework."

Ah college. And I resent being called imaginary.