Sunday, September 27, 2009

Solitary Hobbits

As most of you know, my family usually celebrates Bilbo and Fordo's birthday on the weekend closest to September 22nd. There is a magnificent feast, many guests, much dancing, reading of Tolkien's books, movie watching, lively conversation, but mostly just eating.
So here I was all by my self on the weekend before Sep. 22nd without my hobbity family who usually does all of the cooking. I managed to find something to make my evening festive. I had to raid the library for Tolkien books, since mine would not have survived the journey.I watched the theatrical version of Fellowship of the Rings all the way through (except for interruptions from my family who wanted to chat with me over the Internet) for the first time since the year it came out. Still a really good movie, even though they slaughtered some things. Some of the Moria scenes, the balrog in particular, and the Arogonath are wonderfully done. Watching by myself allowed me to be very involved and present to the movie (except for when my family kept calling me), which was nice.

Tuesdays are my hardest days this semester. I have a morning class and only brief breaks till I get done at 9:30. I was despairing of finding time to celebrate properly on the actual day of Bilbo's birthday. Luckily I found a friend who understood, more or less, and another girl who had never read them but wanted to know what we were so excited about. We will corrupt her yet. *evil laugh* My family sent me a box with cookies and my elven cloak in it that arrived that day. So I got to wear my cloak and share some hobbity cookies. I read Bilbo's speech and a few other little scenes. We were in the main cafeteria, so it was not as nice as a private party would have been, but it was sufficient and I didn't feel lonely.
God looks out for me, even in the silly little things.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Aww, sounds fun! I've never *celebrated* Hobbit Day, except it's the day I start my annual reading of LotR. This year is the first in 4 that I haven't started reading it...I've decided to start The Silmarillion instead, since I've only read it once and that a while ago. But I find I'm missing my hobbit friends! :(

I like the blueberries and raspberries on your desk! They look good.

Weird, my word verification is "vardila"...