
I don't know if I mentioned it here, (probably not) but I took a ceramics class last summer. I've always dreamed of working on a potters wheel. It was amazing. It's a lot harder than it looks but I had expected that. I got a lot better by the end of the quarter. I will have to take pictures of some of the things I didn't give away. Most of my cups were horrid, and only one of the bowls survived a few months in my house. I had a great time. So much so that I'm pretty sure ceramics will be my concentration if I do manage to major in art. I still have lots of other things to try, but I've definitely found a home in clay.
I took Jewelry this quarter. I was excited because I liked that lost wax class I took a few years back. The class focused on the metalworking side of jewelry. I had a good time, but I wouldn't want to do spend a whole lot of time doing that. Wax carving, sure. Banging on a piece of copper, no. So that's one down.
I'll be back in the ceramics studio on Tuesday for the first week of Spring quarter. I'm really happy. I've got all sorts of ideas I want to try. I'm hoping I'll manage to make some cups that hold more than six ounces. We shall see how much I've forgotten since August.
I didn't actually have the nerve to wear my hat much last summer. It's pretty silly looking. I always think of Tolkien's description of Sam's hat in The Lord of the Rings. I think he says it's a shapeless bag, which Sam calls a hat. I always imagine it to looks something like one of my failed attempts at a cup.

1 comment:
I like your cups.
Post a Comment