I just realized that I haven't written about Linfield yet.
Hands down, the most amazing thing about being at Linfield was meeting Leah for the first time. More on that later.
Important Accademics.
Music
The audition was much more formal that the others I have done. There were even people auditioning before and after me. I was on a stage and there were lights. Nice recital hall. The practice rooms were also amazing. I don't know how to describe them. They were something between a walk-in freezer and a walk-in safe. It was like being on a spaceship. Very sound proof, but you had to remember to turn on the ventilation or you might suffocate. (!!) They faculty members (who did't really introduce themselves to me) were very nice. They were all being friendly but very poker-faced while I was talking to them. Then the composition teacher (sitting in the corner where I didn't see him till someone else pointed him out) was either very encouraging or very flattering, by saying very enthusiasticly that he would love to work with me. They were very excited about their choir but not much word of small groups such as I am partial to. I begin to think that you really need a music student to tell you that sort of thing.
Art
The art department was locked. We looked into the windows and saw a very messing sculpture studio and a very messy ceramics studio. There was a giant wooden sculpture out side. Looks like a very active little department. The messiness worries me a bit. It's so hard to tell without being inside.
English
We didn't find any teachers hanging around but we did get into the English building. Based on their door decorations, the English faculty look like really great people to study with. There are some exciting study abroad opportunities for writing students (London!) Good stuff. I have enjoyed talking to some of the teachers over e-mail so I don't feel quite as lost about this department as the Art department.
Other factors:
Library
I think this was my favorite part of the little campus tour that Leah gave me. I like libraries very much. We found lots of old friends and other important things. The music library was not like the one at Central.
Food
I didn't actually tastes much food at the other schools I've applied to. I've eaten plenty of caffeteria food on other occassions, however. Lindfield was no worse than what I've had, and better than many. I was surprised at how small the caffeteria was. Adams state and Central both have much larger seating areas ect. My school even has more tables. But I definitly prefer the smaller feel.
Student body
There IS a difference between the public school kids and the private school. I remember that Adams State felt rather like an extention of highschool, or very simular to SFCC. Linfield was not like that feeling. There were still animated converstaions and "somewhere between highschool and adult" antics. But I didn't feel like a food fight was about to break out.
Campus ministry
The parish I visited for Mass on Sunday is the home of the Catholic community at Linfield. It seemed like a very friendly community. They needed money, badly. Looks like the few catholic students are pretty well involved.
I guess that's all I can really say. I had a good time. There were some things that were really attractive. But I'm pretty sure I won't end up there. I hope it's not because I didn't get a close enough look at it. I wish I had been there during the week so I could have met more professors. But God has a plan, so it's all right. It's so hard to not know what would have happened. I can only pick one.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Cool! Glad you liked it! Linfield slipped under my radar somehow when I was still under the delusion that I wouldn't end up at Whitworth but I was excited when you described the sound-proof practice rooms. Although I have become fond of all the ugliness and inconveniences of our music building. I'm going to miss my home I think.
Oh well, even if you don't end up here it was fun having you!! You know what, the library trip was so fun. I hadn't had a chance to just browse and relax in there for a long time, and not ever with someone with whom I could have bookish conversations.^^
Post a Comment