Monday, January 14, 2008

nonsense and other matters

I think I have lots of important things to be doing right now. But I can't remember what they are. That's probably a bad thing. Mondays are terrible partially because they loom ominously at the end of your lovely weekends but also because you get to the end of them (or at least I have) and school doesn't seem so bad. Every thing's due at the end of the week and it feels like there is plenty of time.

Do you ever have one of those days when you just want to hang out at home and wear a toga? Today I would like to wear a dress from thirteenth century Italy. I think it would be very convenient to have full skirts with petty coats so I could stay warm and still look somewhat nice in cold weather.

I talked to a boy today who was looking at a beautiful mosaic of a scene from the Gospels and was completely ignorant of it's meaning. "Why is Jesus about to make out with that other guy?"
Me: "You know what that is, don't you?"
Blank look.
Me: "Seriously, you don't know?"
Him: "We're not really very religious... at all."
Me: "Judas betrays Jesus with a kiss."
He looked at me as if I had just told him that there was life on the moon.
Me: "It's just kind of a famous moment!"
I guess I knew there were people out there who had no idea who Jesus is or what He did. Kind of sad. My teacher (same class) obviously spends a lot of time studying early Christian art but when she starts talking about the symbolism in Christian art she is clearly out of her depth. She keeps talking about the way light is used and all she can say is "Light came to symbolize God's wisdom, or something like that." I realize she is not there to give us a lecture on symbolism but that seems so incomplete. Our text book seems to think that most images on stained glass windows are there to encourage common people to donate money to the Church. *Sigh* And they think I'm sheltered.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Lol...you could have at least told him it's custom in Near Eastern cultures to greet people with a kiss.;P

I love Christian art. My favorite are Coptic icons. I noticed my art teacher didn't know much about it in my class...she called Michelangelo's David "a religious piece". :S Humanism I s'pose is a religion...